Sunday, January 06, 2008

My wonderful friend Susan Paul has passed.


Postscript: Rick asked us to put her video up on a website for him.

I attended the funeral for a friend and former dance student named Susan Paul. She was just 46, and died of liver cancer "of unknown primary origin." (She blogged about it here.) Her husband Rick asked us to put up the video from her service on a website. You can see her video on susanpaulzedra.com here.



What a woman!


A lawyer (yes, a lawyer named "Sue," nice aptonym) she was also a belly dancer who performed in many Guild of Oriental Dance shows, including one student piece I choreographed a few years ago. She was also an avid biker and made annual sojourns to Sturgis--you should see her bike!

She raised alpacas, llamas, and dogs on her hobby farm, and loved knitting so much she gave up her law practice and bought a yarn shop a couple of years ago.

Eagle Flight over Mountain Trees in MistIt's very tough on everyone who knew this vibrant woman, but of course, most of all, for her husband Rick. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

I wrote a Rumi quote in the card to him:
"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."


At the luncheon following the funeral, I met a dancer who said, "aren't you the one that has the blog, 'Notes From Sarah?'" Shocked, I said yes, and she said, "You need to update it more often." Of course she's right--and now I am. Finally.


4 comments:

  1. Sarah, if only everyone obeyed all my commands! Nice to see a new post from you.

    I have not quite gotten over the shock of losing Sue. It still seems impossible to me that she is gone. She was an eccentric character, a unique artist; she had such a strong "spark of life". Just as she inspired me to start bellydancing, I'm trying to follow her lead to go and DO things rather than wait around for them to happen. Thanks for writing about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I can’t watch it enough.

    What is the music? Ride of the Valkyries? Peace ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Thank you Rick and Sarah. Great pictures, great music selection. Truly a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete