Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Typical Gig Story


I've always wanted to blog my gigs, and it's high time I got started!

I'll begin with my very first night at Jerusalem's in Minneapolis...it was in January of 2000. I was standing in the kitchen in costume, warming up a bit, and keeping my eye on the clock. Jerusalem's shows are at 7:30 and 9 o'clock regardless of how full the restaurant is--let me just say this is a wonderful system! I could always tell my students exactly what time they could see dancers at any of several venues in the Twin Cities. Dancers could plan their acts, they knew when to be ready and when they could leave! More on that later.

So I'm standing there when a customer walked by me on his way back to his table from the men's room. He looked me up and down and said, "Are YOU the entertainment tonight?" (knowing I HAD to be--who else stands in the kitchen of a Middle Eastern restaurant in stage makeup and beau coups sparkles?) I nodded and he said, "OH BOY!!!"

That was my welcome, my first night at Jerusalem's.

He was a regular customer who I saw many times with his wife over the next 6 years. They were always attentive, and always tipped--'though never extravagantly. In fact, one night as I made my way around the tables, he said, "It's my birthday tonight! Know what that means?" I said, "It means you'll FINALLY get up and dance with me tonight?" He said, "No! It means I can tip you TWO dollars!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment